Top Pilates exercise for relieving low back pain
As a little taster of our physiotherapy led pilates classes here’s our TOP PILATES EXERCISE FOR RELIEVING LOW BACK PAIN: the simple but effective, knee rolls.
It’s a fantastic stretch. As a physiotherapist it is definitely up there as one of my all time favourite stretches for back pain. It helps to gap the joints in the lumbar spine, which helps to reduce pressure on the sciatic nerve. It also helps to gently stretch the paraspinal muscles and a few other hip muscles. This exercise can offer positional relief for acute back pain injuries as well as providing long term mobility for the base of the spine, which is so important especially in this day and age when we sit to work and then sit to relax.
As our lady Mrs. Doyle from Father Ted would say in her Irish lilt: “Go on, Go on, Go on, Go on!” Give it a go and see how you get on!!!!
(click on the Mrs Doyle link above to see a nice wee youtube video of Mrs. Doyle, oh Go on, you know you want to!!)
Joseph Pilates: the man in the short shorts
The man behind the success of the core-strengthening-flexibility-improving pilates phenomenon was a man who was not afraid of getting his photo taken. I’ve put on a more modest photo below for those with a weak stomach but if you are interested in finding out more about the legend of Joseph Pilates then feel free to search his name for more photos.
Here are a few facts about the man himself and his legacy:
- Joseph was born in Germany in 1883 and had an incredible 8 brothers and sisters
- He probably got his interest in exercise from his father who was a gymnast
- During the war Joseph Pilates used bed springs to strengthen his patients so they would not succumb to the flu epidemic in 1918.
- Pilates was originally known as “Contrology”
In other news…
We have a new Pilates class starting on Thursday mornings at 11:15am aimed at beginners looking to find out more about Pilates and those who are looking to loosen up.
Our instructors are all specialist physiotherapists trained in pilates so you can be assured you are in capable hands. So whether you have got chronic low back pain or are just looking to stretch then contact us to find out more.
Our Pilates timetable March 2018
Our classes all start week beginning the 5th March 2018 and run for 8 weeks. Payment is required upfront for the full 8 weeks due to demand.
- Tuesday 10:15am
- advanced level pilates. Stretch and strengthen/ bums and tums/ core and more
- Tuesday 11:30am
- Beginners. If you are in pain or have had surgery recently this class is ideal. Feel the comfort of knowing each class is led by a physiotherapist
- Thursday 11:15am
- Beginners. All ages/ no experience needed. Stretch and strengthen at a beginners level
- Thursday 7pm
- Gym goers and more. Ideal for those looking a good core workout
- Friday 10:15am
- Gym goes and more. Keep supple and strong.
To find out cost and to speak with our receptionist then please ring 02892661435.